[Tfug] home media server

Eric M. Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Sat Nov 24 06:36:29 MST 2007

I setup Gentoo on it mostly just because I was in a "Gentoo phase" and I thought it was god's gift to man (don't worry guys I'm pretty distro-agnostic now).

I have had to replace a failed drive, and basically all I did over ssh was

watch cat /proc/mdstat

to watch the drive get rebuilt. There was a bit of a learning curve at first, because I'd never done software RAID in Linux and I had to "get used to" where everything was (I didn't know about /proc/mdstat, for instance.) The HOWTO pretty much got me through it though. I didn't put the volumes on LVM when I built it, which is something I now kind of regret. Since building it I have read about LVM and how you can easily add space and all that - I wish I had read a little more about how far Linux storage has come along and wish I'd taken advantage of it.

One thing I would say - if you use Linux clients and you use Samba, make sure you use CIFS and not SMBFS when you mount the Samba shares. SMBFS is deprecated and I have noticed that CIFS seems like it "just works" perfectly - connecting from Linux clients, OS X client or Windows clients.

Eric
http://nixwizard.net