[Tfug] home media server

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Thu Nov 22 22:57:13 MST 2007

If you are running it on a network with Windows machines, look at Samba.  That works for me.

Earl
"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler
"I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code" Unknown Linux Geek

-- daniel galaska <galaskadaniel at yahoo.com> wrote:
hello all --

so, i have rather fortuitously come into an old e-machine. the specs are not marvelous (700 mhz pIII, 256 ram), but i was thinking that it might do well as a file server. i would use it primarily for media, but backing up files would also be part of its job. i haven't done much research yet, but was wondering if there were any suggestions for open source software that could turn it into a media server. i would like to be able to have access to my media (and be able to play it -- audio and video) from remote locations.

any suggestions?

a very happy thanksgiving to all.

-- daniel

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org