[Tfug] Cloning systems

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 14:33:07 MST 2007

Hi,

--- Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 02:13:06PM -0800, Bexley
> Hall wrote:
> > My initial goal was to move a file hierarchy onto
> > a new drive having a different size and geometry.
> > I typically use tar to do this:
> >
> > # #mount new filesystem hierarchy under /mnt
> > # tar cpf - <names> | (cd /mnt; tar xpf - )
> >
> > where "tar" is "/usr/local/bin/gtar" in this case
> > (I never trust Solaris' tar(1) ).
> >
> > Unfortunately, this messes the bed under Solaris
> > since hard links aren't supported accross file
> > systems so you end up with /mnt/whatever linking
> > to /whatever (no goodness there).
>
> I've always used rsync to do this type of thing.
> Will that work for
> you?  It supports hard links.

Hmmm... I guess I could try that route -- though it
seems like "standard tools" should have been
"adequate" (i.e., with the right know-how  :>  )

I am still puzzled by why tar choked.  Since the
target of the (hard) link was on the same file
system that I was tar'ing, it *should* have worked...

Thx,
--don