[Tfug] Harmless musing

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Mon Nov 19 15:57:15 MST 2007

Bexley Hall wrote:

> So, what "little detail" am I missing that explains
> why The Powers That Be opted to wire hubs/switches
> one way and "computers" another?

Most commercial stuff is wired that way.  Think DCE - DTE and you can
understand why a straight through cable works.  The transmit on one end
connects to the receive on the other, etc.

With consumer grade stuff, I think they made them "universal" with a
circuit to detect which was xmit and which was rcv to cut down on
customer service calls which costs them money.

Why they don't do this on commercial class equipment is a mystery but I
suspect they figure if you paid big bucks for a switch, you know how to
wire them and they can save a few pennies on each port by not having the
auto detect circuitry.

At least this is the reason that was given in some of the Cisco classes
I've taken.  ;-)

George Cohn