[Tfug] OK, some advanced network geekery needed...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 09:24:32 MST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 10:39 PM, andy <andyjones at cox.net> wrote:
> I may regret asking this, but why can't you just buy another Celldata
> thingy?

OK, the piece that broke is:

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=99&zenid=e13da29b70182f83463f65eb52e7f134

That thing has a PCMCIA slot for my cellmodem, four Ethernet out-ports
and a WiFi port.  Yes, it's kinda neat and it's a Linux device
internally.  But...

First issue is, I don't have $200 to spend if I don't have to.

Second, I can learn to do all the same things on my laptop.  With one
key addition: the KR1 router cannot take a WiFi signal IN and serve
out Ethernet.  My laptop should be able to do that.  And there's times
where I'll want to be able to.  For example, let's say we're doing a
"Bring Your Own Box" and build session at, say, the main downtown
library.  I can take the Library's free WiFi and port it out to
Ethernet/DHCP on my lappie, and split that off an 8-port hub, giving
Ethernet to a cluster of desktops from the library's net.

I can't do that with the KR1 router - the only "input" it'll take is
the PCMCIA cellmodem that is at this moment living in my lappy.  It
can't be (easily) re-jiggered to do WiFi in, Ether out.

Jim