[Tfug] LPD vs LPRng vs CUPS

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:42:46 MST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 9:02 AM, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:36:08PM -0700, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> > The real job for all of above is done in filters and drivers.
>
> Reason #1 why I hate cups.  No built in filter for dvi files.  This to
> my mind, is actually quite telling--it means that the CUPS developers
> aren't steeped in Unix.

I haven't given printing much thought in may years, I found that the
Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) worked on Windows and *nix, CUPS auto
discovers the printer on a network and that was enough for me, its worked on
everything I've tried. HP networked printers all have IPP but it may need
enabled. Also I recall something that Eric Raymond had to say about CUPS.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html