[Tfug] DVD-RW problem

Josh Miller joshnmiller at comcast.net
Mon Nov 12 08:27:29 MST 2007

I had this happen to me: DVD reading & writing works fine, but a CD
placed in the drive might as well not be there.

My symptoms were somewhat different: I got no hangs or errors when
trying to use a CD; the system behaved as if the drive was empty.

I did some research at the time, and I seem to remember that certain
Lite-On model numbers are predisposed to this failure.  My drive is
branded Sony, but it's just a rebadged lite-on.  Googling the Sony model
# gave me the lite-on model #, and from there to a description of the
problem.

-Josh