[Tfug] Anybody try "wicd" as a replacement for Network Manager?

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 15:59:34 MST 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 3:49 PM, andy <andyjones at cox.net> wrote:
> Thanks, that seems to have done the trick. Synaptic suggested I install
> the meta package instead of the generic, but I just did the generic as
> you suggested and it seems to have worked.

Yes, that's exactly what I did.  I recall seeing some warning too but
ignored it and the in the end sound works great.  You'll want to make
sure you set the volume on all your controls.  Right click on the
volume control applet and select Volume Control.  Then Edit >
Preferences.  Check all those boxes.  Close that window and then make
your volume adjustments.

By the way, I am very pleased with Wicd so far.  Network Manager was
giving me a lot of trouble before and it's great to have replaced it
with something that works.  It would be nice if Ubuntu would drop
Network Manager and go with Wicd.

Ryan