[Tfug] An easy (I hope!) Gnome question...

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Sat Nov 3 10:13:34 MST 2007

did you try "sudo update-menus"?

Earl
"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler

-- "Jim March" <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
Got a weird one here.  I had a friend's machine running Ubuntu Feisty
(Gnome), did an upgrade to Gutsy.  Did some other additions and tweaks
and uh oh, that LAST small upgrade to stuff like Acrobat Reader caused
an out-of-disk-space problem.  Damnthing only has a 30gig total, all
one big partition (Ext3) 'cept for 1.5gig swap.

It started running "funny" - fonts went wonky, some things wouldn't
run, ghaaa.  So I cleared some space post-haste.  Got the fonts/video
drivers back under control, all seems fine, except one of the main
Gnome drop-down menus...won't drop down no more.  "Applications".  Not
actually a disaster because I do desktop icons for this guy for his
major apps - TBird, FireFox, etc.  The thing runs OK otherwise, but
naturally the menu manager app won't start.

I figure it's gotta be a borked menu manager file somewhere.  I tried
going to home and deleting the gnome-related hidden dirs, basically
reset the gnome user settings.  It reset lots of things (wallpaper,
panel applets, etc) but not the damn menus.

Anybody recall which file I need to nuke for that?  Or put another
way, am I right that that's what's up here?

Any help appreciated.  I *could* leave it like this until Monday if I had to...

Jim

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: