[Tfug] Absurd Samba situation: Fiesty server, WinXP can access it, Gutsy can't?!?

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Sat Nov 3 08:08:48 MST 2007

Jim March wrote:

> Better yet: turns out you can create a directory under /media for a
> given share, make a hard-link to it in fstab (smbfs) and then from
> within Virtualbox, "share the share" with the XP virtual machine.
> Inside the machine, create a drive letter to the /media/sharename
> folder and effectively link "X:" or whatever to the network server.
>
> VERY cool.

I have a Linux server running Etch.  It has my personal web pages and a
bunch of test stuff.  I got tired of firing up PSCP and WSFTP to copy
things to the Linux server so I just mapped the directory for the web
stuff to my XP box.  Now I can drag and drop stuff back and forth
without any extra applications.

I set Samba up to force the correct user name when I copy something to
the web directory.

Also mapped the DVD drive in the Linux box to the Windows box.  I keep a
disk in it with a bunch of catalogs and pdf's on it that I access
frequently.  Since the DVD drive is only used for backups, it saves me
from having to swap disks a lot.

Sometimes Linux and Windows can play together well and make life easy.  ;-)

George Cohn