[Tfug] Absurd Samba situation: Fiesty server, WinXP can access it, Gutsy can't?!?

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Sat Nov 3 01:44:43 MST 2007

>From what I read on Ubuntu forums, Gutsy is almost Alpha now and many have networking problems.  That's why I run Feisty on my laptop and Dapper on my desk top with no problems.

Try Xsmbrowser.  It's crude but works, at least in Feisty and Dapper and, of course, Debian stable.

Earl

"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler

-- "Jim March" <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, read that title again.  I have a server up and running in
Feisty.  Works great, SMB shares created, seven WinXP boxes happily
using it.  All on the same network, DHCP access behind a dedicated
firewall/router.

The one Gutsy machine on the 'net (also behind the firewall, DHCP)
cannot see the Fiesty server.

WTF?

Like help?

I've been RTFMing for hours.  With no fixed IP addresses a lot of the
"Linux to Linux" tools fail.  But I should still be able to see the
SMB shares, right!?

What I need here is a fixed mount point to a single share.  I figure
once I have something like /media/share/appname or whatever I should
be able to link to that mountpoint from within VirtualBox and an XP
virtual machine - the end goal of this excercise.

And yes, I've got networking established in Virtualbox 1.5.2 ("full
edition" not "OSE") but only by way of NAT, not a "straight shot to
the host Ethernet hardware".  Therefore the Virtual Machine XP can't
browse the network (and find the server) either.

At one point while trying to make that work I followed directions here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Advanced_Networking_Linux

They're kinda crude instructions.  For a little while something on
this page, not sure what, allowed Ubuntu to "network browse" all the
way through "Windows Network">"MSHOME">myservername but clicking on
the server gave an access error, no prompt for a password.

I call this situation "absurd" because you'd think Ubuntu would have
an easier time getting into an Ubuntu box than friggin' WinXP would,
right?

Any clue appreciated...'cuz I'm just stumped.  Pretty much every other
Samba-related thread on ubuntuforums covers Windows failing to get
into an Ubuntu-based share, and since the SEARCH ENGINE IS BROKEN
there I've got to yell for help.

Thanks,

Jim

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org