[Tfug] Iceweasel and Flash

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at northwestern.edu
Sat May 19 08:35:18 MST 2007

On 5/19/07, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 06:05:37AM +0000, Earl wrote:
> > I run iceweasel on Debian Etch. libflash0c2 and libflash-mozplugin are
> > installed.  Is there anything else I need to run flash using open source?
>
> libflash-mozplugin is the GPL SWF library which doesn't yet support
> all of Flash.  If you're having problems and you don't mind running
> Adobe's proprietary version, add Marillat's non-free multimedia
> packages to your sources list
>
>          deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main
>
> and then install flashplayer-mozilla.  You'll still need to copy or
> symlink to libflashplayer.so

Actually you don't need Marillat's repo anymore. You can just add
"non-free" to your sources.lst and "aptitude install
flashplugin-nonfree".

This will install a script that goes to adobe and downloads and
properly installed the non-free version. I recommend first
uninstalling libflash-mozplugin and all the others first.

Works very well, and updates with "apt-get upgrade" when new versions
are released. Only down side is it's non-free, but I've gotten more
tolerant of that, especially when the package can be easily managed by
apt.
JDR