[Tfug] Hello

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 00:13:14 MST 2007

On 3/14/07, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 09:30:50PM -0700, Jude Nelson wrote:
> > but if we do this at the U of A that will not be necessary, as there
> > are many public, unencrypted access points that pretty much pervade
> > the entire campus.
>
> Recall that the UofA has instituted their new "highly secure" wireless
> network.  If you're not registered (student, faculty, staff) with the
> UofA, you're restricted to their "public" network which is bandwidth
> throttled and locks out everything but port 80.

That's irrelevant.  My laptop is registered with UofA's "highly secure"
wireless network, so all that needs to be done to let anyone else access the
WiFi is to set up an iptables rule to allow other computers connected to my
computer to masquerade as my computer over the network.  Indeed, quite
trivial, as you said.

Regarding the desire to use landlines, the Park Student Union has lots of
Ethernet wall jacks on the second level that, to the extent of my knowledge,
are publicly accessible.  I can bring a 4-port router, if needed.

Also, regarding the desire to create a TFUG club at the UofA, I, too, am a
student, and can be an officer if needed.