[Tfug] email question

Matt Jacob matt.jacob at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:46:39 MST 2007

On 6/26/07, Joe Blais <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com> wrote:
> part of my problem.  What MTA (?) is simple enough for me to setup.  And,
> can I just call it from my app and pass it a few parameters so it will send
> a short message?

Postfix is pretty easy to configure, and most people consider it to be
more secure than qmail, Exim, Sendmail (obviously), etc. Install mailx
and then you can easily do something like this:

mail -s "subject goes here" send.to at example.com < some_text_file.txt

In /etc/postfix/main.cf, you can set relayhost to your ISP's SMTP
server for those annoying times when outgoing port 25 is blocked:

relayhost = smtp.west.cox.net

Hope that helps!

Matt