[Tfug] [OT] - Apple //e as a Linux terminal. Other Apple 2 questions.

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 06:46:56 MST 2007

I have a six disc set of dos 6.x (I think), if that will suffice.

I have a null modem cable if you can't find it. Though if it's no longer
available, I'd like it to be a loaner (indefinitely of course :) )

The rest I can't really help you with though. Contact me off line if
you want the version of dos, and the cable. Have fun ~ Chris
On 6/14/07, Quag7 <coldfront at frostwarning.com> wrote:
> OK, this is beyond the bounds of ordinary nerdiness, and I realize that.
>
> I have acquired two Apple //e systems, both of which appear to work.  I say
> appear, because I cannot get my hands on a DOS floppy, but am working on
> that.  They both boot up and display the Apple ][ tag on the top of the
> screen, so that's good.
>
> What I'd like to do is make these into Linux terminals.  Why?  No good reason
> at all.  My life has apparently deteriorated to the point that I cannot find
> much to fill my free time with other than this, but it seems strangely
> important that, if this is possible, I absolutely must pull it off.
>
> My questions are as follows:
>
> (*) Does anyone in town have a bootable DOS - Prodos or whatever floppy, that
> they can copy?
>
> (*) Does anyone still mess around with 8 bit systems, and, if so, has anyone
> found a way to move data from a PC - say a TOSEC archive downloaded from the
> net - to an Apple 8 bit system?
>
> (*) Has anyone attempted to make a serial term this way?  Presumably a null
> modem cable is what I need, as well as some kind of term software.  I
> acquired a Super Serial Card 2 for this purpose.
>
> (*) Does anyone have any term software for Apple 8 bit systems, or know where
> I can get some?  I am watching ebay but for the most part, everyone sells
> games, which I don't care about at all.
>
> Presuming I can still find a null modem cable in town at CompUSA or BestBuy or
> SWS, all that seems to be left is terminal software, which I can find online,
> but I'm not sure how to get it from my PC to an Apple floppy.
>
> Note that I grew up using a Commodore 64 - so I am not really leveraging years
> of teenage geeking to do this.  My interest in Apples mainly has to do with a
> weird aesthetic sense whereby Apple 2 systems seemed to be the most computery
> of computers - I wanted one when I was younger but couldn't afford it.  Now,
> it's almost a piece of sculpture art to me.
>
> Curious if anyone has tried anything like this with an 8 bit system, or if
> anyone knows specifically about old Apples.

Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz