[Tfug] My experience "recovering" Windows compared to installing Debian

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Sat Jul 28 13:30:39 MST 2007

Glen, you've hit the nail on the head with MS apps. (I don't consider
Windows an OS -- technically, it's a Web browser with application
launching capabilities and some operating system-like features.)

You know what an MCSE gets employers? Aside from all the cruft
surrounding how to administer a system with GUI tools (which should
be easy once you know the concepts, right?), they get "streamlined"
installations. (Google it.) With the original optical media, you can
download all the patches (but there's no easy way, gotta do that
manually) and patch the installation files.

(Sorry about the asides.)

A three figure IQ precludes the need for an MCSE...

Anyway:

On Jul 28, 2007, at 12:54 pm, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:

>> Leave a small partition on the drive, big enough to hold a
>> "ghost" image.
>>
> That's a pretty good idea. I had considered doing that in the
> past, but never got around to it. I suppose it is probably
> easiest to use *nix tools to make and write the image instead of
> finding free Win tools. Thanks for the idea.

Have you seen SystemImager or PartImage?

I like the System Rescue CD (http://sysresccd.org/)
Or dd?

R.