[Tfug] "Linux is a forking mess."

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Fri Jul 20 08:34:57 MST 2007

Robert Hunter wrote:

> Perhaps you are correct about one thing.  Until M$ gets its comeuppance
> (think DoJ, and anti-trust), it may very well continue to dominate the
> desktop market.

Good Luck!  Under the current political/business climate, it probably
won't happen anytime soon.

I worked in the telecom industry back in the '70's and when the DOJ
broke up the Bell System on Jan 1, 1984, a lot of good things came out
of it.  Remember 75 cent per minute long distance?

However, the current climate has allowed the original 7 RBOC's to merge
until there are now only 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Bell_Operating_Company

I suspect that Bill is safe for now.  That's why he keeps starting all
the FUD, to scare users away from Linux and other operating systems.

I was showing a student at PCC a Ubuntu desktop installation and he was
thoroughly impressed.  He's a very MS centric person and was amazed at
how easy it was to use.  There's hope yet.

I personally use Linux for things like servers, Myth TV, Asterisk,
embedded applications, etc.  Haven't quite quit using Windows because in
reality, if you work in the corporate world, you had better know how to
use it.

George Cohn