[Tfug] Deleting file with invalid charcter

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Jul 5 14:38:01 MST 2007

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 07:12:06AM -0700, George Cohn wrote:
> Bloody Windows!  I ftp'd the file from a windows box and it
> apparently added the invalid characters.

Not Window's fault.  Unix basically permits anything in a filename, as
one would prefer.  Liberal in what you receive, strict in what you
send and all that.

Escaping unusual character's with a backslash will usually work.  For
the worst case scenario where you can't figure out what to do, keep a
copy of mc on your system.  It'll do the job.

Claude