[Tfug] List of packages required to make a good Debian Desktop system

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed Jul 4 22:36:45 MST 2007

I am putting together a list of software that I use on my Debian
boxes. There are two reasons I am doing this. First, because I
cannot remember it all and I want to have a reference of what
works for me while I am setting up new systems for friends and
family. A second objective is to share it with others. I expect
it would be most helpful to those new to Linux and Debian. Some
of my choices were influenced because I run GNOME.

1. Do any of you know of better alternatives than what I have
   listed?

2. Are you aware of any media codecs I am missing?

---------------------------
Basic Desktop Software
---------------------------

Package Name              Description
------------------------- ---------------------------------------
gaim                      Instant messaging program
gftp                      File Transfer Program
gimp                      Image editing program
gnome-art                 Install GNOME themes from art.gnome.org
gnome-themes-extras       Various themes for the GNOME 2 desktop
gnomebaker                Burn music CD's
gnomesword                Bible study software
gthumb                    Image library application)
samba                     Share and read files with Windows
smbfs                     Mount and unmount commands for Samba

---------------------------
Children's Games
---------------------------

Package Name       Description
------------------ ---------------------------------------
childsplay         Suite of 12 educational games for children
ktuberling         Mr. Potato Head game for children
tuxpaint           Painting program for children

---------------------------
Web browsing and Multimedia
---------------------------

Package Name           Description
---------------------- ---------------------------------------
alsa-base              The linux sound system.
flashplayer-mozilla    Browser flash player plugin [1,5]
icedove                Email Client (Thunderbird)
iceweasel              Web Browser
libdvdcss              DVD decryption so you can play DVD's [1]
sun-java5-jre          Sun's Java Runtime Environment [2,3,4]
sun-java5-plugin       Sun's Java browser plugin [2,3,4]
w32codecs              Libs for playing Media Files [1]
xmms                   Music player

===================================
Footnotes
===================================

1. Debian MultiMedia Repository. Add the following to
   /etc/apt/sources.lists

   deb http://debian-multimedia.org etch main

   Add Marillat's key to your ring so apt-get stops showing you
   an error. Execute these commands:

   # gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 1F41B907
   # gpg --armor --export 1F41B907 > marillat.asc
   # apt-key add marillat.asc

   Update your repository.

2. Only available in the Etch and later non-free repositories.
   After installing Sun's Java you need to make sure that it is
   the default:
   # update-java-alternatives --set java-1.5.0-sun

3. http://stepien.com.pl/2006/11/26/java-on-debian-including-firefox-plugin/

4. Java Tester: http://www.javatester.org/version.html

5. Flash Tester: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
   If the flash plugin loads correctly, mouse over the About tab
   in the plugin to find out which version you are running.

===================================
Other References

1. List all Iceweasel/Firefox plugins. Start Iceweasel, and in
   the address bar, type: about:plugins

2. WMA, WAV, and OGG media files for testing:
   http://xiph.org/vorbis/listen.html

3. Article on setting up Real Player:
   http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/applications/media-players.jspx

--