[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro...

john galt johngalt1 at uswest.net
Mon Jan 29 19:16:56 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim March" <>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie"
distro...

> OK, but...
>
> A lot of these folks are running older hardware.  Some as
> bad as P3-800 with
> 512megs at best, some worse than that.
>
> Am I right in assuming virtualization is "virtually"
> impossible in such
> cases?
>
> (About the best boxes I see involve P4/2gHz/1gig RAM...)

How about a K6-2 / 500 with 192 MB of RAM? That setup pretty
was hot in 1997

Even for the best boxes, Vista probably won't be an option
because of its stiff hardware requirements

http://tinyurl.com/3bt4na
(compusa.com)
Yeah, it says a 800mhz/500MB ram box will run it, but don't
believe it. You need to double, triple, or quadruple  those
specs and have a beefy video card, according to an early
adopter friend of mine.

That makes me wonder if MS is gonna strangle itself with
planned obsolence

One can hope