[Tfug] OT: Cox cable

john galt johngalt1 at uswest.net
Sat Jan 27 15:09:43 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Angus Scott-Fleming" <>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 1:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] OT: Cox cable

> On 26 Jan 2007 at 16:23, john galt  wrote:
>
>> Dish Network has audited their customers in an effort to
>> catch such
>> activity. The more recievers you have on your account,
>> the more likely you
>> are to be audited.
>
> How do they audit?  Inquiring Minds
> http://www.inquiringminds.org/ want to know

I thought it was BS at first: How could they know?

Either they phone you and ask you to read numbers from
menus on your receivers,

OR if they are really aggressive, like when your receivers
are on different phone numbers or on a number other than
what is documented on your account, or if you have cell
phone only

they may crash your service and then when you call to
complain, you get to read off the magic numbers

An audit is no problem if all the receivers are in one house
/ location as permitted by the TOS/user agreement.

If they detect/suspect you are making calls elsewhere,
talking to others, or taking way too long, you may flunk.

Any possible sanctions depend on the situation.

Reference:

http://satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=66324&highlight=audit

http://satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=84932&highlight=audit

http://satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=76521&highlight=audit

reference term: account stacking
http://satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=82405&highlight=audit

http://satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=69089&highlight=audit

Direc TV also is sensitive to things like faking your
installation location in order to receive local channels you
are not eligible for. Both are insistent about having a
phone line connected to the receiver for this reason, in
addition to the ease it makes for buying Par Per View