[Tfug] Shameless Parts Trafficking: MacBook Pro

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Jan 23 17:23:49 MST 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 12:47:26PM -0700, Anthony Hess wrote:

> If you want to save yourself some wicked depreciation nothing you are
> using (that I can think of anyway) at Eller won't run on VMWare or
> Parallels (the latter is better developed, the former is ... well its
> cross platform and probably looks better on a resume).  I mean what
> are you running ... Visual Studio?  Visio?  MS Project?  That'll run
> in virtualization just fine.  Now if you just don't like using a Mac
> thats another story ...

I'll toss in that for work stuff I've run some fairly funky programs
(and USB dongles) via Parallels and been quite happy and surprised each
time, that it's all just working.  The new beta with coherence is quite
slick too.  The other day I just dropped in and found some windows
networking stuff (drivers, printers) when I was onsite with a customer.

I dunno how VMWare is, but I'd hope it's at least equiv.  And in both
cases you're running real windows anyhow, the only question is about
getting funky hardware passed in and that's been great for me with
Parallels.

--
Tom Rini