[Tfug] any Linux in-dash car audio tips?

Andy Halper andrewhalper at cox.net
Thu Jan 4 15:23:05 MST 2007

> On Jan 3, 2007, at 4:17 pm, Andrew Halper wrote:
>
> > The factory CD player in my car is on the fritz,
>
> Assuming the T part of TFUG applies, your next one will go on the
> fritz too, two years down the line. It gets *hot* in there. Get a
> cheap head with line-in or a hacked (dead) CD changer and plug in an
> old iPod running Linux. Slightly less convenient, but much less
> landfill. Screens? Bah.
> --
> Rich

Yes, it is here in Tucson.  This is the direction I was headed with the
Insignia NS-C3111.  It has an aux-in jack on the faceplate, and I was going to
plug my IOPS MFP-350 (a "chewing-gum" Ogg Vorbis player) into it.  I figured
it would be an added bonus if I could play Ogg Vorbis off the disc as well.

I share your views on in-car touch screens.  The Prius has one built in to the
dash (controls the stock audio system, which is why Best Buy won't go near
it), and for someone who likes TV as much as I do, it's way too distracting.
...watchy watchy/drivey drivey/crashy crashy...

Andy