[Tfug] any Linux in-dash car audio tips?

Andrew Halper andrewhalper at cox.net
Wed Jan 3 16:17:26 MST 2007

Anyone have experience with Linux-based car audio?

The factory CD player in my car is on the fritz, and I'd like to replace it with something that plays Ogg Vorbis/MP3.  A hard drive and 802.11 would be nice, but are not essential.  Even just something that at least plays Ogg Vorbis and Red Book would be OK.

I've studied the VorbisHardware Wiki (http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisHardware), but it seems like most of these players are either over-engineered, no longer available, or only marketed in the EU or Commonwealth countries.

I even tried to buy the Insignia NS-C5111's low-budge sibling, the NS-C3111, in hopes that it would have the same firmware, but the salesperson at Best Buy was frightened away by the fact that it has to go in an old Prius.

Many thanks,
Andy