[Tfug] Accessing shared folder

Ronald Sutherland rsutherland at epccs.com
Sat Feb 3 18:43:44 MST 2007

Do you have a name server and DHCP server or is it a static setup, if
its static
then I've seen a few computers talk, I'm not sure how they do it, possibly
a broadcast but it does not scale up so I add the addresses in Host file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_file

ping (Win and Lin), Nslookup (Win), dig (Lin)
some commands I use to find out what the name server is giving me

for example on nameofpc1 try
ping nameofpc3

then on Kubuntu PC try
ping nameofpc3

Reverse lookups can give clues also
dig power.epccs.com
;; ANSWER SECTION:
power.epccs.com.        3600    IN      A       67.41.22.211

dig -x 67.41.22.211
;; ANSWER SECTION:
211.22.41.67.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN     PTR     power.epccs.com.

If you have a Winblows name server, run the management tool and look at the
assigned addresses, nuke the duplicates, although you need to make sure
there not the addresses in the PC's.

power is off but electricity is on at my home...