[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Fri Feb 2 16:02:35 MST 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro
From: "Tim Ottinger" <tottinge at gmail.com>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Date: 02/02/2007 02:46 PM
> So if I were in Gnome or KDE, what advantages would I get when using wine or
> crossover?

I have almost completely moved over to Linux and am using using open
products where available. I have used Crossover. It works fairly well
for that one application that you simply must have that is Windows only.
It does not, however, work well for everything. It is kinda hit and miss.

Crossover is not free and that may violate some of your goals. If you
are willing to consider it, though, it is very much worth what they are
asking for it. Getting wine working on your own will more than eat up in
time any savings that you might gain by rolling your own. Installing
Crossover is simple and it either works or it does not. In less than an
hour you can install it and test your application. You might even save
that by going to their web site and checking to see if others have
gotten your favorite app working with Crossover.

You asked for advantages? You get to use an open OS with a huge support
base and tons of quality free software and possibly get to hold on to
those one or two Windows app's that you simply can't live without.