[Tfug] Shameless Parts Trafficking (big list)

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 17:33:06 MST 2007

On 12/30/07, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> --- Jude Nelson <judecn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was originally planning on building an openMOSIX
> > or a Beowulf
> > cluster over the winter break, but my parental units
>
> (sigh)  Such killjoys!  :>
>
> > had other
> > plans--I have to get rid of all the PCs I was going
> > to use as nodes, as well as some Sun hardware >.<
>
> Any *short* wide SCSI cables (i.e. 12 inches long)?
>
> > I also don't know my SCSI ports very well (where
> > applicable);
>
> 50 pin cables/connectors are typically single-ended,
> narrow SCSI.
>
> 68 pin cables/connectors are typically wide SCSI.
>
> There are lots of variations, however.

It sounds like a short narrow single-ended 50-pin SCSI cable, from
that description.

> E.g., Apple was fond of a DB-25 based SE SCSI port
> (along with some wacky pinouts they used on laptops
> and docks).
>
> "Old Sun" SCSI connectors were *huge* affairs (can't
> recall pincount... probably 50-ish) and definitely
> not on any of the kit you mention below.
>
> Internal SCSI connectors tend to be either 50 pin
> ribbon cables (recall an IDE drive is 40 pin ribbon),
> 68 pin "D" connectors (found on drives *with* a
> separate power connector) or 80 pin SCA (Single
> Connector Attachment -- i.e. SCSI + power rolled
> into that ONE connector).
>
> Some cables can be used for differential *or*
> single ended applications (i.e. the signal returns
> for a SE application become the differential mates
> in a differential application).
>
> And, some off-brand cables can be total trash
> (they cheat and eliminate some of the returns).
>
> > Sun 50-pin SCSI external CD/CD-R drive
> > $15 or best offer
>
> This would be a 411 case.  About 2 inches tall,
> beige with "purple" feet, *square* when viewed
> from above.  The two 50 pin high density SCSI
> connectors are located on the rear, one above the
> other.

The cables I have match that connection.

> By contrast, a 611 case is a little narrower,
> is most definitely *rectangular*, and has a pair
> of 68 pin connectors side-by-side on the rear.
>
> > Sun 50-pin SCSI external storage disk enclosure
> > Contains 4 SCSI Seagate Barracuda disks of unknown
> > capacity (probably 2.1 GB each)
> > Would make a good external RAID. $25 or best offer
>
> This is probably an 811 case.  Same shape as the
> 411 (more or less) but twice as tall.

No, the same cables work on this device as well.

> > 2 50-pin Sun SCSI cables
> > (I don't know my SCSI cables very well, but this one
> > works with both
> > external devices and most Sun workstations have
> > these) $2 or best offer
>
> Most *old* Sun workstations have these.  (e.g. 4m
> vintage).  Newer machines have 68 pin connectors
> (most ultra's, etc.)
>
> > 1 Sun SBus ZX Leo framebuffer card
> > (24-bit, 3D acceleration, unopened)
> > $5, or free with the SparcStation 20 (whichever is
> > sold first)
>
> If you don't find a buyer, please consider sending it
> to one of the SPARC developers on any of the free
> eunices.

Yeah, this one was hard to find to begin with :)

> > Sun Ultra Enterprise 1 workstation
> > 187 MHz UltraSPARC I processor
>
> I can probably find you (or whomever) a faster
> processor for this.  Though I may have to refresh
> my memory as I suspect the U1 used a different
> CPU module than what I am thinking of...
>
> > 1 GB RAM
> > 3 SBus ports (all occupied)
> > 1 SBus SunGX framebuffer card (8-bit, 13W3 port)
> > 1 SBus 100 MBit Ethernet card (with MII port)
>
> Which card is this?  I may be looking for a 100M card
> if I resurrect my LX...

It's the Sun "Happy Meal" 10/100 MBit Ethernet SBus card.

> > 1 SBus SCSI Differential card
> > Integrated 10 MBit Ethernet
> > 3 23-pin Parallel ports
>
> I suspect that should be:
> 2  25 pin SERIAL ports
> 1  25 pin PARALLEL port
>
> <grin>  The icons adjacent to each port take some
> getting used to before you can sort out what the hell
> they are trying to depict!

This is true--I'm not very familiar with old Sun workstation hardware.

> > 1 SCSI port (I don't know the type)
>
> I think the U1 still was 50 pin *narrow*.
>
> > Integrated audio
> > 1 15-pin serial port
>
> Hmmm... that doesn't sound right.  Perhaps you are
> refering to an MII or parallel port?  (does the icon
> look like two PARALLEL -- though slanted -- lines?)
> Sun has all sorts of oddball adapter cables to get
> from the back of "whatever" machine to "something
> more traditional"...

It has the two slanted parallel lines.

> > 1 SCSI CD drive
> > 1 Sun Keyboard/Mouse port
> > NO HARD DRIVES (accepts up to 2 SCSI disks [this one
> > had a Seagate Cheetah disk])
>
> I think the U1 can accept one 1/3 height and one 1/2
> height?

Possibly--it looks like it could fit three drives, but there are only
two SCSI ports.

> > 1 drive sled included
> > $30 or best offer
> >
> > Sun SparcStation 20 workstation
> > 2 50 MHz SuperSPARC processors
> > 480 (?) MB RAM
> > 4 SBus ports (2 occupied)
> > 1 SBus LSI Framebuffer card (unknown specs)
> > 1 SBus 100 MBit card (with FastWide SCSI port)
>
> As above, I would be interested in this if I resurrect
> my LX...

I *think* this is also a "Happy Meal" card...I couldn't get the thing
running long enough to find out :(

> > Integrated Framebuffer (unknown specs)
> > 1 23-pin Parallel port
> > Integrated 10 MBit Ethernet
> > 2 MII (?) ports
> > 1 SCSI (?) port
> > 1 SCSI CD drive
> > 1 SCSI Floppy drive
> > 9 GB IBM SCSI hard drive
> > Could never get Debian installed on this, but I hear
> > it can run NetBSD $25 or best offer
>
> I ran NetBSD 2.0.2 for some time on a quad 70MHz(?)
> SS20 and was quite happy (though the case gets hot
> enough to toast bread!)

The previous owner warned me about that... :)

> > 2 Macintosh LC III (Performa 450) workstations
> > 25 MHz or 33 MHz (overclocked) Motorola 68030
> > processor
> > Socket for Motorola 68882 FPU
> > 36 MB RAM (4 MB on-board, 32 MB stick)
> > 758K VRAM
> > 1 PDS card slot (occupied)
> > 1 10 MBit Ethernet PDS card (with coaxial cable
> > socket)
> > 1 ADB port
> > 1 DB-15 video port
> > 1 DB-25 SCSI port
> > Integrated audio
> > Integrated modem
> > Printer port (unknown type)
> > 40 or 80 MB SCSI disk (that's right, 40 or 80
> > Megabytes)
> > System 7.5.5
> > These *could* run Debian, but I don't have big
> > enough disks :( $20 or best offer
>
> They'll take SE SCSI narrow drives -- like the SS20.

Really?  That's very interesting...had I known that before putting
them up for sale, I'd have swapped in the SS20's drive into one of the
LCIII's.

> I may have some assorted cards for old Macs for anyone
> going this route...
>
> (I never liked running anything other than MacOS
> on Macs because of the problems booting headless.
> Perhaps this is different on Linux?)

Not with the LCIII...it needs to use Mac OS to bootstrap Linux.