[Tfug] Cheap Memory

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Mon Dec 17 18:10:41 MST 2007

It happened today.

I was reading some message board, where someone actually said "It only
has 1GB of RAM."

Thats a sad, sad statement when you think about it. Just how horribly
bloated an simple desktop-centric operating system has to be to not
manage or utilize such a resource correctly.

Not to get Paul started on the elegance of OS/2, but, I can recall not
too long ago seeing my mid 1990's Amiga absolutely fly on 4MB RAM.
Thats 1/512th the memory.. With no such thing as virtural memory, it
forced application writers to create healthy, relatively fat-free code.
Now, the only qualifying factor is "does it run?"

Sad.

Cheers,
Bowie