[Tfug] CentOS 4.4

Michael Omar Gatto gatto_omar at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 7 11:35:08 MST 2007

Hi Earl,

I use CentOS 4.4 as a Vmware guest OS. I installed from the single Server
CD. So far, it works well. I come from using Gentoo most of the time, so
installing applications via YUM is novel for me. I use it as a console-only
network server without X installed. I've mostly stayed with the base install
and official packages. I've only had one hiccup which was when I was
installing some Perl modules through CPAN and it borked on me because GCC
was not installed. So, I found the corresponding YUM package for it and all
was well in the world again. Its identical to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, so
any books or online docs for that OS applies equally to CentOS 4.x.  I've
also found that packages, at least, for Fedora Core work as well.

- Mike Gatto