[Tfug] CPU Query (results)

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Fri Apr 6 13:35:44 MST 2007

Based on recommendations here, I purchased a system with an Athlon 64 X2
5200+ CPU.  After the usual fiddling around installing the OS (CENTOS 4.4)
and getting code and data moved, I'm a happy camper.  Results are as follows:

Original CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2GHz)

Run a single case:
  Original : 80s
       New : 67s

Run two copies in parallel:
  Original : 160s
       New :  68s

So, the overall gain from just this simple approach is an effective 58%
reduction in run time.  Unless I run into overheating problems, that cuts
my overall runtime needs from 265h to 111h.

And thanks to all for suggestions.

Jim

| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |