[Tfug] why not cable?

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 15:56:27 MST 2006

How can you tell what ports are blocked?  Also I recently was looking at one of the SMTP servers and the config file showed an alternate port of 467 or something like that.  So if port 25 is blocked can't I just set my pop client to use that port instead of port 25?

Wouldn't 53 be blocked also?  With alternate ports such as 8080 instead of 80 with port 53 open I can still run a named server....ETC.

Also I thought all DSL providers block some ports.  I used to do tech support for a DSL hardware vendor.  As I recall port 25 was blocked but could be unblocked upon request. Not sure about other ports.

I use Cox and they block port 25 so I had to use their SMTP server back when I used to POP.  I use webmail now.

When I was on DSL with UltraSW they did not block ports and later when I moved to DakotaCom.Net, I think they did not block ports either.

I also wonder why DSL is only $21.95/mo, while cable is $40/mo.

Keith Smith
http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html