[Tfug] Partition Second Drive

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 18:26:29 MST 2006

Hi, Joe,

--- Joe Blais <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com> wrote:

> I've never used the PM stuff either - so -- I just
> wanted to say partitioniong would be my last resort
> if  just trying out a bunch of different things,
> when something like Virtual PC might be able to do
> the same thing -- that's what I did anyway when I
> was evaluating different Linux distributions and
> releases.
>
> I did like the Virtual PC though -- I haven't looked
> for anything like that for Linux.  I saw that
> micorzfth changed or dropped Linux support for
> VirtualPC when they acquired that company.

I think the "bochs" emulator does some of this -- but
I haven't actually played with it to know for sure :<
I've been playing with a SunPCi in one of my Sun
boxen.
It's a "PC on a PCI card" *hardware* solution to
running Windows under Solaris.

It's pretty cool -- you build "emulated drives"
as files on your Solaris file system and then
"attach" whichever ones you want to the SunPCi
driver.  Thereafter, you have a genuine windows
desktop *in* a CDE window.

Since it is not emulated, it runs pretty fast.
And, since it is a *real* PC, it has far fewer
compatibility problems than typical emulated
solutions.

I made the mistake (!) of upgrading my Windows
machine to W2K a few months ago.  As a result,
I have several tools that no longer work in
that environment.  :<  The SunPCi gives me a
workaround -- I can build "emulated" disks for
various MS OS's and get those tools running again.

Furthermore, those applications that don't like to
coexist within a single Windows machine can now
coexist on different emulated drives.  This makes
supporting some of the legacy tools I have quite
easy!  The alternative was a multiboot windows
box -- or, swappable disk carriers, etc.

For those few applications when the overhead of
using the display driver is tedious, you can
hook an external monitor to it, directly.  I just
need to find some more "cans" for the external
drive enclosure that currently supports the
"emulated drives".

--don