[Tfug] where are my terminals?

Ammon Lauritzen ammon at simud.org
Mon Jul 31 09:39:22 MST 2006

Earl wrote:
> Any ideas?

Jumping out of X to text-mode is an iffy proposition to begin with.

If you are using the vesa drivers, my experience is that they tend to do
all sorts of unholy things to your text-mode consoles.

If you are using a custom font setting on the console, it is possible
that going into X destroys that setting and you wind up back in 80x25
mode with things scrolled off the edge.

In most cases, the only way I've found to recover from this sort of mess
is to pick a pristine tty, log in blind, and reset your console font
(usually something like 'consolechars -f default8x9' will work).

Of course, the minute you go back into X, you are liable to lose these
settings again. A bit of tricky .profile/.login scripting can save you
the hassle of the final command, but it still doesn't do anything about
the need for a blind login.

Ammon