[Tfug] Naming scheme

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 30 14:42:27 MST 2006

--- Joe Blais <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com> wrote:

> > OT:  Can anyone suggest why temperatures level off
> > from about midnight to just before dawn.  Then,
> > *plummet* just as the Sun is rising?  I could
> > understand temperatures steadily falling until
> just
> > before dawn and being at their lowest at that time
> > (since the ground has had the longest time to
> > radiate it's stored heat to the blackness of
> space).
> > But, that would imply a *steady* decrease in temps
> > which is not what I observe.  (I wonder if my
> > location bears any influence on this...?)
> >

> not being shy about knowing something
> incorrectly.....

<grin>  Join the club!  Thankfully (regretably?),
it seems the meteorologists know very little *more*!
:-/

> perhaps the wind starts moving towards the sun,
> breaking a local inversion from an otherwise quiet
> night?
>
> I know the sun is heating land and air east of us as
> it appears to rise.
> The mornig air then starts to heat and rise.
> Then our air that has been a blanket to us during
> the night, may be getting
> sucked away from us along the surface.
> Probably setting up a cyclic flow, sucking colder
> air from above us, down
> onto us.

Then why wouldn't the colder air *above* us have
settled previously?  :-(  I'm at the confluence
of the Pantano & TV washes so I imagine there is
plenty of opportunity for cold air to find its
way into my neighborhood long before sun-up...

> I've seen time lapse video of Tucson, and you can
> see the direction of flags
> change throughout the day.

I suspect time for an "Ask Mr. Weatherman" debut...

Thx,
--don