[Tfug] has anyone set up a cvs repository on a windows server?

Joe Blais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Thu Dec 7 10:14:48 MST 2006

Thank you --
I have read a little bit about SVN, and was thinking about using it, but the
other tools I was using didn't know about it...
On the server, does it need to look like a web service or does it just look
like a windows share that you can mount as a folder and then access
directly?
Does it handle multiple projects sharing the same file?  It looks like when
you commit something, everything in the project gets the same version.  If
so it seems like a file that is shared by multiple projects would be a messy
thing, because other projects may not have had a commit at the same
time -whatever I'm trying to say... it seems different to what I'm used to.

Joe

----
No, but I have very recently deployed a fairly major SVN server setup
under windows. I'll be documenting the adventure this weekend for those
who are interested.

As far as CVS vs SVN... I really would recommend the latter. The SVN
book is a remarkable resource. One of their appendices is an explanation
of the differences between the systems and instructions on how to
convert. Worth a look.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.forcvs.html

--
Ammon Lauritzen