[Tfug] OT - Telemarketing calls with fraudulent caller ID

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Fri Aug 25 18:54:42 MST 2006

On Friday 25 August 2006 18:19, George Cohn wrote:
[snip]
> Or since this in a Linux/BSD list, just build an Asterisk box.  It has a
> cool feature called "Zapateller" which can be used to play the Special
> Information Tones (SIT) that tell you a number is disconnected.  Just
> set it to play if the caller ID is unknown and then wait a few seconds,
> then ring your phone.

Hmm, interesting... I was earlier thinking that what the phone network really
needs, at the LATA level, is an implementation of a phone-equivalent BOGON
filter. ISPs (usually) filter invalid/unassigned IP blocks at their borders,
why doesn't the phone company? I suppose you could do exactly that with
Asterisk, download the assigned/unassigned files from NANPA, write a filter,
and drop any illegitimate calls on receiving.

Adrian