[Tfug] Dual cores and hyperthreading

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Sat Aug 19 21:27:08 MST 2006

John Gruenenfelder wrote:

>Thanks for the responses.  The info about the possible data leak between
>virtual threads was most interesting.  I seem to have missed that from
>before.
>
>Anyway, after some more Googling I didn't get anywhere.  I aksed on
>#kernelnewbies and a friendly soul there had an answer.  While the base
>architecture (Pentium 4) supports hyperthreading, this particular model (Core
>Duo) only has a single thread per CPU.  So, the net result is two CPUs and no
>hyperthreading.
>
>I added a page to the kernelnewbies FAQ wiki so hopefully Google will have an
>answer the next time around.

Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) does not support Hyper Threading.  Also, it's
not a Pentium 4 base, it's a P6 base.  The Core Duo, is an evolution of
the Pentium M, which was a Pentium III with the P4 bus, and a few other
nice things.  The PIII was of course a PII with SSE, and the PII was a
Pentium Pro with it's cache moved onto a card instead of being a multi
chip module.

The P4 (aka netburst) really should be NetBUST, Intel tried for high GHz
and failed.  They were estimating 4.5GHz by now on 90nm, and they were
not even able to make 3.8GHz on 65nm.

Core 2 Duo (aka Conroe) supports HT IIRC.  Laptop version should be out
soon.

                            Harry