[Tfug] KVM switches and Gentoo

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Sat Aug 12 09:32:08 MST 2006

On 8/11/06, Quag7 <coldfront at frostwarning.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 18:41 -0700, Christopher Robbins wrote:
> > I've recently built a Gentoo box for purposes unknown (I haven't figured out
> > what I plan on doing with it yet, but mostly for media/backup).  I use a
> > cheap Trendnet KVM that I bought from SWS - (
> > http://www.trendnet.com/products/TK-208K.htm).  It works fine for my
> > dual-boot Win/SUSE box, but I have trouble getting the Gentoo box to
> > recognize the mouse.  The mouse is part of a USB mouse/keyboard wireless
> > keyboard (Logitech S510), but the mouse is PS/2 and the keyboard is USB via
> > a PS2/USB connector...
> >
> > Has anyone had similar problems?  Any recommendations?

I can't see any software reason for this, but I had a similar problem
once and it turned out to be a loose connection. Try reseating all the
plugs. If it is software, you might check the Suse box for the mouse
driver X uses and use the same one on the Gentoo box.
- In the xorg.conf file, look for the pointer section and something
like 'IMPS/2'
- Check what device the xorg.conf file wants to use like '/dev/psaux'
Also make sure the kernel is supporting psmouse:
- Check that the kernel module is loaded: 'lsmod | grep psmouse'
- If it's not, try inserting the psmouse module: 'modprobe psmouse'

Good Luck,
JDR