[Tfug] ftp question

Robert J Hunter rhunter at U.Arizona.EDU
Mon Oct 18 13:00:22 MST 2004

Erich,

The port number is a 16-bit field, so it can range from 0-65535.
Traditionally, it has been a common rule that only privileged server
processes can use port numbers less than 1024 (referred to as
privileged ports).

However, as "well-known" services increase in number, the availability
of privledged port numbers has all but vanished, and if you take a
peek at /etc/services you should see a number of services with very
large port numbers.

Still, the the most common services use ports numbered less than 1024.
Clients generally must request unprivileged port numbers from the
operating system.  Hence, if you need to run a server as a
non-superuser, you will usually have to accept connections on a port
greater than 1024.

-Rob