[Tfug] ftp question

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Wed Oct 13 09:56:47 MST 2004

I routinely download small files from a site in Colorado a couple of times
an hour from a collection of automated scripts.  Normally things work just
fine, but for some reason yesterday things broke down.  When I chased it
all down, my firewall was rejecting packets coming in from the target
machine to my machine at various high ports (59000+) which broke the ftp
link.  I've had speculation that these packets to high ports are part of
the ftp process post-negotiation and that what I'm seeing is problems that
might be due to increased latency or message-order shuffling or some other
phenomenon between my firewall and the target machine.  When I did a
traceroute, the route was about 12 hops longer than usual and was highly
variable.  Today the traceroute shows what I consider to be the normal
routing and I'm not having problems.

Does this make sense?

TIA
Jim