[Tfug] USB hard drive and permissions

robbinsc at ece.arizona.edu robbinsc at ece.arizona.edu
Tue Oct 12 23:03:35 MST 2004

Thanks to everyone who helped......I got the thing to work....I had to
edit fstab and add a new line for the usb hard drive....But I  can't
access the drive from any account other than root...Here's what the fstab
looks like -

/dev/hda6            /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr
1 1
/dev/hda2            /windows/C           ntfs
ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
/dev/hda5            swap                 swap       pri=42
0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5
0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults
0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto
0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto
0 0
/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    subfs
fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/sda1            /media/usb-storage-DEF107679C83:0:0:0p1    ntfs
defaults, user, noauto 0 0

It does mount properly, and it does show up in KwikDisk, but I can't
access it anywhere other than root.  Is this a fstab problem or a
permissions problem?
Thanks again-

Chris Robbins